365 ~ Day 244 ~ The Style

The Style

Construction of the current Parliament Buildings started in 1893 and they were officially opened on February 10, 1898.  The architect, Francis Rattenbury, was just 25 years old when he won the competition to design the new buildings.

The style of the Parliament Buildings has been described as "free classical" and "Romanesque".  Raw materials from throughout British Columbia were used for the construction of the buildings, including andesite from Haddington Island for 500-foot long facade and granite from Nelson Island for the foundation and front stairs.  The roof is capped by 33 cooper domes of different sizes.  On Top of the central dome, stands a gold plated, two-metre tall statue of Captain George Vancouver.  Each night, the buildings are illuminated by more than 3500 energy-efficient light bulbs.